Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Becoming British

"Dani... Was that a British accent?"

YESSSS! The student from the University of Mississippi (or Ole Miss Mike as we affectionately distinguish him from the other Michaels on campus) called me out on my slight speech change.

Okay, so I haven't picked up a British accent. Unfortunately.

However, my speech has changed in a strange way.  It is noticeable in the way I ask questions.  The inflection is different.  Instead of raising my tone at the end of a question like we do in America, I've started raising it just near the end (unintentionally).

So like in the States we would say:
"Can I get the door for YOU?" (With YOU being the part where we raise the pitch.)

But I find myself saying it like how it would be in the United Kingdom:
"Can I get the DOOR for you?" (With DOOR receiving the raised pitch.)

It's a small difference.  But still is kind of fun.  I've found other students who have experienced the same change that I have.  We'll see who notices when I come home.

1 comment:

  1. As for an update on this...
    After I was able to identify what I was doing as far as my change in speech, it seemed to start occurring less. Which is somewhat sad...

    ReplyDelete